The Savvy VetTech

Score a FREE Student Membership on Vetcetera!

Alert: Xylitol Now In Some Peanut Butters

by Lori Hehn - September 2, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol found in many sugarless candies and gums, baked goodies, cereals, and drinks. It can be VERY toxic to our pet patients. One of the most significant side effects seen with xylitol ingestion is hypoglycemia. It has also been suggested as possible cause of acute liver failure, which can lead to coagulopathy, disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC), and death.

Xylitol is appearing in more foods and most recently has been noted in certain peanut or nut butters. This is concerning, as many pet owners administer medications in peanut butter, or use it in Kongs or other toys.

Read More

Download Now!

Popular Posts

Posts by Topic

see all