The Savvy VetTech

Word Problem: Did This Dog Get A Toxic Dose Of Chocolate?

by Lori Hehn - December 21, 2016 at 8:12 AM

“Jackie,” a 4-year old Maltese mix presents to your clinic after ingesting a full milk chocolate bar about 20 minutes ago. This means he consumed about 1.55 ounces according to the package the owner brought.

Read More
in Toxic Doses, Dogs 0 Comments

Thanksgiving Time: Operation Dog Pancreatitis Prevention

by Lori Hehn - November 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM

Every year at this time, I start to think about dog pancreatitis for obvious reasons. Lots of delicious food and soon to be holiday parties taking place.

And as the old saying goes, and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! This is especially true with dog pancreatitis prevention, as this can be a very serious and even life threatening disease for dogs.

Take the time to remind your veterinarian clients about the dangers of various Thanksgiving food for dogs when they come in to the clinic, and potentially even have a handout or e-mail for them as a helpful reminder.

While some dogs may easily tolerate some plain turkey meat, others can become seriously ill. The most common thing that I see in practice is a dog with pancreatitis or gastrointestinal upset because of things the GUESTS give the pets without the owner knowing!

Multiply that across multiple guests and it can make for a bad combination. So besides educating your clients, who may know what their dogs can and cannot tolerate, remind them to tell their guests- politely but firmly- that they must not feed the pets without permission, or better yet not at all. Otherwise...they can pay the vet bills!

Read More
in Holidays, Dogs 0 Comments
New Call-to-action
Ranked #21 of 100!

Posts by Topic

see all